Monday, August 17, 2015

Partnership



What does a partnership look like in marriage today?  Do two people have to be equal to make a marriage work? The text in chapter 4 of ‘Successful Marriages and Families’ states it so perfectly “Equality is all too often used to mean “identity”; that is, that two equal things must be identical to each other.  Such usage represents a fallen and harmful understanding of equality that is espoused by Lucifer, who passionately wants all to be “like himself”.

We see examples everyday of women wanting to be identical to men.  They join the military, they climb the corporate ladder, they are even in the boxing ring. Why is it that woman today insist on being just like men?  Why do they not feel confident & worthy enough in their own God given talents and skills.

The Family Proclamation states that “Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in live and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children.  In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners”.

Equal does not mean we have to change to try and keep up with each other.  Equal means we are different in our talents but equal in our contributions.

Perfectly said by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, “The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony.  All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole”.

In my own marriage I’ve stayed at home with the children while my husband has always had a career.  I’ve cleaned the house while he’s cleaned the garage.  I sweep he irons.  I pack beach lunches while he packs the car.  I keep up with our family photos, he fixes the car and computer. It goes on and on.  There are some things I am better at, and some he is.  I know he is grateful for all I do and I am grateful to him as well.  I never get upset that I don’t have his talents, in fact I am so grateful that we each have different strengths to bring into our marriage.  Not all couples are going to look like my husband and I.  Some may even be good at the same things. But by rejoicing in our differences we can get so much more accomplished. By working together we make each others life complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment